As well as from protecting the wood underneath, the Extruwood-Cap profile also provides better insulation than conventional aluminum capped wooden frames, says Pasching-based Extruwood. This enables wooden window producers to design more slender frames and/or to reduce glass glazing thickness. Wood plastic window
Sven Wolf, Extruwood owner and managing partner, says conventional aluminum-capped frames have an aluminum cap that is stretched well into the thickness of the frame. This results in thermal hot or cold spots, he says. This is often offset by increasing the thickness of the wood frame or incorporating foam insulation.
Extruwood makes its Extruwood-Cap profile in a direct extrusion process without using WPC compound granulate. The line used is based on conical co-rotating twin-screw extruders and includes integrated online drying of the natural wood fibers.
Everyone from the government's Energy Saving Trust to Friends of the Earth supports the use of double-glazed windows, to prevent heat escaping from houses, and therefore cut down carbon emissions. The trust asserts that if everyone in the UK who needed double glazing fitted got it £700m a year would be saved, and the equivalent of about 740,000 households' CO2 emissions. But the conservationists are not going to give up without a fight. Mr Wood says there are a raft of things you can do to reduce heat loss as much as with double-glazed windows. Wood plastic composite for building material
Tell us about your wood-plastic composite challenges and opportunities. We are excited about the potential for silicone technologies in wood-plastic composite building materials, decking, fencing, and outdoor furniture and want to collaborate with you. As the silicone technology pioneer and a key supplier to the global construction industry, Dow Corning can provide you with:
1. Cost-saving solutions - Technologies that improve hydrophobicity, coupling, and processing so you have the potential to use more wood flour and less plastic
2. Silicone ingredients and treatments that improve mold and mildew resistance and extend the weatherability and service life of your wood-plastic composite building materials, decking, fencing, and outdoor furniture
3. Technologies that improve color retention, scratch, mar, and stain resistance
4. Proven products, alternative options, and materials tailored to your requirements
5. Technical expertise, including application knowledge and advice on the effective utilization of silicone chemistry